09 Nov Ring Sling vs. Wraps
There are so many ways to carry your baby these days, that it seems like the only product missing is a self-drive baby mobile. But often the simplest is the best, which is why a lot of parents taking this baby carrying business way back to the days of the good old piece of cloth technique. To understand what works better in a situation with ring sling vs. wraps, let’s start by understanding the mechanism of ring slings and wraps.
How does a Ring Sling work?
A ring sling is a length of cloth with one end attached to two rings. The cloth is wrapped around the babywearing parent and fixated by the rings, creating a pouch to carry the baby.
How does a Wrap work?
A wrap is a free-flowing and long piece of cloth, which is wrapped around the babywearing parent and fixated in a variety of ways.
In order to determine the better option for you between ring slings vs. wraps it’s important to understand the ideal qualities of a baby carrier:
- Comfort: An ideal baby carrier ensures comfort for both the carrier and the baby. Are very comfortable for the baby, and ergonomic ring slings are comfortable for the babywearing parent as well. Wraps are long and need to be wrapped around the parent and the baby multiple times, it can be a little complex and technical to navigate, especially when your baby isn’t as settled as you would like them to be.
- Portability: An ideal baby carrier is easy to use around the house and on the go. Whether it is for bonding time during household chores or while you’re on the go, a light weight baby carrier is useful. Both ring slings and wraps are easy to pack up and take along when your’re on the go.
- Safety: A baby carrier should be safe. After you invest in a baby carrier, the last thing you want is to compromise safety. Since a ring sling have a double ring design which works in gravity’s favor, the fabric is secured and won’t slip off. The rings are also sitting directly in front of your shoulders, so if something does go wrong, you will notice it immediately. A wrap however, does not have an external fixing mechanism and can get loose or slide off without the user noticing, creating a safety hazard.
- Even weight distribution: An ideal baby carrier is designed in such a way that the weight of the baby is evenly distributed throughout the shoulders and the back. This makes baby carrying easy and less tiring. Ergonomic ring slings are designed keeping this in mind. A wrap, also has even weight distribution as it is draped around the shoulders and the torso.
- Cost effective/ Durable: Babies grow very fast, and while they are growing up, you don’t want to go through multiple baby carriers. Being able to use the same baby carrier from newborn to toddler means your investment goes a long way, and it needs to be durable too. Ring slings are designed keeping this in mind and wraps can also be durable with a little extra care.
- Quick and easy: A baby carrier that requires too much time to put on and take off is not practical for parents with little ones. Ring slings can be set up and ready go to before you need to use it, and all you need to do is make a pouch and tighten when you need it. Wraps has limitations in the pre-wearing set up area. It can take a very long time to put on and the long pieces fabric can be intimidating for some parents.
- Discreet nursing: Babies got to eat, when they got to eat, which is why breastfeeding mothers prefer baby carries that allow easy, discreet nursing. Ring slings have a excess fabric tail that can be used as a nursing cover. Depending on the position, it can be very difficult to nurse a baby inside a wrap.
- Stylish: Taking care of babies is a time consuming task, and parents often find themselves compromising their appearance. But the good news is, you can still look stylish while carrying a baby. Carriers come in many different patterns and styles. Ring slings these days often follow the latest trends and easy matching colours to suit your style. Though wraps can be used in a variety of styles they require extra attention to avoid looking sloppy.
Since ring slings offer safety, comfort and style with no compromise in time, money and security, it is definitely a better choice. Hurry and get a ring sling now and begin enjoying the benefits of babywearing!